Monday, 6 July 2015

The One with a Myriad of Mishaps, Most Involving Bodily Fluids

This has been quite a week. But since you all want to know about transfers I'll spill the news. So my new companion is Elder Burkhart. He is from, wait for it,... Utah. He lives in the Salt Lake Valley in a town called Taylorsville. He likes cooking and ballroom dancing. He has been out on his mission for a while and goes home in October. 

This week has been a tougher one. Adjusting to a new companion is one thing but having the work go absolutely no where on top of it is another. We have been doing everything we are supposed to and working just as hard we always do but this week nothing happened. 

There was one miracle. We were able to get back into contact with a lady who had requested a missionary visit a few weeks back. We had left her with a Book of Mormon and she was very excited to read it. When we went back over she had been reading a praying about everything we had taught her. She is hungry for knowledge so she has been using to help her find answers to a lot of her questions. She knows it's all true! Her only thing holding her back for accepting baptism is that she wants to know more and have a more complete understanding of the gospel. But she know that she will arrive at that understanding over time and has no doubt that baptism is in her future. 

Unfortunately that's about the only good thing that has happened this week. It's getting tiring dealing with so many angry people, and so many people that just aren't home. I'd be a rich man if I had a dollar for every time we called a disconnected phone number. I think the worst part about the whole situation is the knowledge that I'm doing everything I'm supposed to, but still feeling like its my fault or something I'm doing wrong. I know this gospel is true and it is almost painful when people don't understand or feel what I do.

Enough about me and my problems lets get to the stuff you actually want to hear about. So on Elder Burkart's first night here so many things went wrong it wasn't even funny. We had two appointments set up for the evening and a member coming out with us so it was looking like it would be a really great night. Only things started going wrong as soon as we pulled in the driveway of the first house we were going to visit. We had just just faced the rejection of a no show appointment and were getting back into the car when Elder Burkhart's nose decided to start violently bleeding. He got blood all over his shirt and tie before I was able to grab the handkerchief (Auntie Paula you're a lifesaver with that idea) in my bag and give it to him to try and stopper the eruption. We drove over to the next house we were trying to see and they also were not home. So we quit and just went home teaching with the person who was with us. 

We actually ended up doing some service for the lady we saw with him a few days later. She had just finished a ton of hard work so had a huge pile of branches and bushes. So we spent and afternoon (in 103 degree heat) breaking the big pile down into smaller ones so the city could come and collect it. 

Last night was a pretty interesting night. We had a member of our bishopric coming out with us to try and see some people in Stanfield. As soon as I got into his car I began to feel a little sick. I should probably preface this story with the fact that we had our wards monthly potluck after church. At this point you can probably tell where this is going. So we try a few home of people we can't get into contact with over the phone and they aren't home (shocker). We go over to another house of a less active family and we get let right in. As the night has been progressing so to has my nauseated feeling. We are standing in their kitchen talking when the feeling gets worse and worse and I just can't fight it anymore. I ask to use the washroom, they are Hispanic and American so they have no idea what a washroom is so I ask to use the bathroom and they point down the hall. I'm halfway down the hall when the contents of my stomach arrive in my mouth. Luckily I manage to hold them inside my mouth in time to make it to the toilet. After a short powerful lesson we decided it was best if we headed back to the church. I was discreet enough about vomiting that no one realized I did it but when I told everyone in the car we decided that round two should probably happen at a toilet not on someones porch. So we get back to the church, I puke, we send of our abysmal numbers for the week, come home and do an awful nightly planning session because I can't think straight, and I go to bed and make Elder Burkhart deal with our call ins. Gross end to a gross week. Hopefully this one turn out a bit better. 

Send me pictures, read your scriptures

Love you!
Elder Galvin

My new Companion Elder Burkhart and I chilling at the church.


Post a Comment